Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, August 27, 2010

cooking things up...

In continuing to study about the New England states we made boston baked beans from scratch as well as brown bread! First "odd" ingredient (to me) needed.. ham hocks.....

None of the kids liked the smell of the molasses.

The beans boiling for an hour.....

So we didn't get enough pictures but we also made brown bread (for the same meal) which we had to postpone for another night because I misread the directions and thought the WHOLE process of the beans cooking was 5 hours.......turns out that was just the last step! LOL So rather than wait till 9pm to eat we opted to try another meal. Since we'd just read about blueberries and Vermont we made homeade waffles (in place of pancakes) with fresh blueberries topped with REAL maple syrup :) Yum! Plus we had maple syrup snow cones!!! Super yummy.


2 comments:

S. said...

So what did you cook your brown bread in? I remember my mom always cooked it in one of those big metal coffee containers that you can't find any more, but I'd LOVE to make some Boston brown bread... YUM.

mom2four said...

Sarah, I just cooked it in a metal baking bowl rather than the coffee can the recipe told me to use :)